Summer is more than just a season – it’s a feeling. It’s the laughter of friends and family gathered around a hearty meal. In the background, the sizzle of the barbeque and children playing, providing the ambient background noise.
As the days get longer and we welcome family and friends into our home more often, it’s only natural to feel like your garden may need a little summer flair to make those special moments come to life. Good news: we’ve got a whole bunch of summer garden inspiration to help you bring those special summer vibes to your own backyard!
Whether you have a sprawling lawn or a cosy balcony, this guide will help you infuse your outdoor space with the essence of summer. We’ll explore all the steps you can take to make your summer garden a lively and inviting space for friends and family to enjoy all season long.
Transform your garden into a summer oasis with these ideas. Keep scrolling to discover them all!
Summer Garden Inspiration
There are so many ways you can imbue your garden with summer joy, but we’ve grouped them into a few key categories. Between creative outdoor games, festive summer decor, spaces for entertaining, and the perfect barbeque setup, your summer garden transformation will be complete before you even know it. There’s plenty of summer garden ideas below to help you achieve the summer garden of your dreams!
Outdoor garden games
Want to set the tone for your next party? You can’t go wrong with garden games! They’re a great way to keep people of all ages entertained and often have a very small or even non-existent learning curve, so people can get into it right away.
Here are a few games you can choose from for your summer garden transformation:
- Bocce Ball: A classic Italian game where players toss bocce balls towards a target ball, trying to get as close as possible.
- Cornhole: A bean bag toss game where players aim to throw bags through a hole in a raised platform.
- Lawn Bowling: A game where players roll biased balls to a target, often simply referred to as “bowls”.
- Badminton: A racquet sport played with a shuttlecock, perfect for a casual game on the lawn – just make sure it’s not too windy!
- Croquet: Players use mallets to hit wooden balls through a series of hoops embedded in the grass.
- Horseshoes: Players throw horseshoes at a stake in the ground, aiming to encircle it or land the horseshoe close to the stake.
- Kubb: A Swedish game where wooden blocks are strategically knocked over with wooden batons.
- Giant Jenga: A jumbo version of the classic block-stacking game, requiring that players focus on the careful and strategic removal of blocks without toppling the tower.
- Ring Toss: Players aim to throw rings onto pegs, either on the ground or a freestanding structure.
- Giant Connect Four: A supersized version of the classic Connect Four game, players have to take turns attempting to connect four discs in a row.
For a personal touch that is also more budget-friendly, consider crafting your own summer garden games! This can be a fun project and also gives you something to talk about when you’re entertaining.
You can make a DIY Ring Toss using wooden dowels as pegs inserted directly into the ground at varying distances, then paint or decorate a few wooden rings that people can toss. DIY Giant Jenga is simply pieces of lumber cut into equal sized blocks that are sanded down and painted or stained. Making these DIY outdoor games could even be a party of its own!
Summer is all about festive, joyful vibes. The easiest way to adorn your summer garden with festive spirit is with the right decor places in all the right places. It’s a great way to create a fun and welcoming atmosphere for your guests to bask in.
Here are a few summer garden inspiration for your decor:
- Colourful Bunting Flags: Hang vibrant bunting flags between trees, along fences, or across your patio to instantly bring a festive atmosphere to your garden.
- Fairy Lights in Mason Jars: Place fairy lights inside mason jars and scatter them throughout your garden for a magical, twinkling effect in the evening.
- Lantern Pathway: Line pathways with decorative lanterns. Choose lanterns in various sizes and colours to create an inviting and illuminated walkway.
- Paper Lanterns: Hang colourful paper lanterns on your Designer Plants® artificial trees or topiary plants to add a playful and festive touch to your garden.
- Display Flowers: Place artificial flowering plants on tables or suspend them from the ceiling to bring a burst of summery colour to your garden. You could even go big with an entire floral wall! All our artificial flowers not only look good all year round, but they are also safe for pets and children and won’t trigger any allergic reactions, unlike their real counterparts.
- Tiki Torches: Create a tropical resort ambience with tiki torches. Arrange them strategically around your garden to provide both lighting and a touch of tropical flair.
- Outdoor Rugs: Define cosy spaces in your garden with outdoor rugs. Choose bright and patterned rugs to add a pop of colour and comfort to seating areas.
- Artificial Hanging Plants: Introduce a little bit of effortless elegance with artificial hanging plants. Drape it over fences, pergolas, or in hanging baskets for a timeless and maintenance-free green touch.
- Glowing Orb Lights: Scatter glowing orb lights around your garden for a mesmerising celestial effect. These spherical lights add an enchanting element to your outdoor space.
- Hanging Pom-Pom Decorations: String colourful pom-poms together and hang them in your garden for a playful and festive look. These cheerful decorations are easy to make and bring a sense of fun to the space. They’re also really easy to DIY!
Pro tip: Mix and match these ideas in a way that suits your outdoor space and reflects your unique style! Play with different colours, finishes, shapes, and positions to get the right look for your summer garden transformation.
Spaces For Entertaining
As sun-kissed days turn into cosy evenings, it’s essential that you create inviting spaces that are made for winding down and enjoying each others’ company. Summer is all about spending those magical moments together, and creating these spaces will allow those moments to come to life more easily.
Here are a few summer garden ideas to help your create spaces in your summer garden that are perfect for entertaining:
- Define Zones: Designate specific areas for different activities such as dining, lounging, and games. This helps create a well-organised and functional layout. Our artificial portable hedges are great for this! They can be easily moved around so you can change the layout of your summer garden every day if you wanted to.
- Comfortable Seating: Invest in comfortable outdoor furniture with plush cushions that folks can easily sink into. Think lounge chairs, sofa sets, and hammocks to provide a cosy atmosphere for your guests.
- Weather-Resistant Materials: Whether it’s your furniture or even your artificial plant decor, make sure they’re made from weather-resistant materials to ensure durability and ease of maintenance.
- Dining Al Fresco: Set up an outdoor dining area with stylish yet comfy tables and chairs. Consider stringing fairy lights above for a magical dining experience under the stars and adding an artificial vertical garden wall as a summery backdrop.
- Shade Solutions: Install umbrellas, pergolas, or shade sails to provide relief from the sun. Your guests will appreciate having a cool and shaded spot to retreat to!
- Outdoor Rugs: Define seating areas with outdoor rugs. Not only do they add a touch of comfort, but they also visually anchor the space and add a pop of colour.
- Versatile Lighting: Incorporate versatile lighting such as string lights, lanterns, and LED candles. These additions create a warm and inviting ambiance as the sun sets, and can be easily moved around to change the mood or capture the best sunset views.
- Green Privacy: Use artificial hedges from Designer Plants® for a little privacy from curious neighbours. These hedges not only add privacy but also contribute to the overall aesthetic of your entertaining space.
- Mobile Beverage Station: Set up a mobile beverage station with a bar cart or Esky cooler filled with refreshing drinks and lots of ice. This ensures that your guests stay hydrated and comfortable all day.
- Music To Set The Mood: Create a playlist of lively tunes and consider setting up outdoor speakers so the whole party can enjoy your favourite summer tunes.
The Perfect Barbeque Setup
A summer party isn’t complete without a barbeque! Setting up a barbeque-ready space not only gives something for you and your guests to munch on, but it often acts as a hub of activity and conversation in your summer garden. Here are a few summer garden ideas to help you create a functional and aesthetically-pleasing BBQ area:
- Strategic Placement: Position your barbeque in a central and easily accessible location, ensuring the cook can socialise with guests while preparing delicious meals.
- Ample Counter Space: Invest in outdoor countertops or tables to provide ample space for food preparation, plating, and serving.
- Storage Solutions: Opt for weather-resistant storage solutions to keep barbeque tools, utensils, and condiments organised and easily accessible.
- Comfortable Seating: Create a cosy seating area near the barbeque for guests to relax and chat while the grill master works their magic.
- Shade and Ventilation: Ensure there’s adequate shade and ventilation to make the cooking experience comfortable for the chef, especially on hot summer days.
- Lighting for Night Grilling: Install outdoor lighting to extend BBQ sessions into the evening, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- Herb Garden Integration: Incorporate a small herb garden near the barbeque for fresh herbs to enhance the flavour of grilled dishes.
- BBQ Tool Hooks: Install hooks or a magnetic strip for easy access to barbeque tools, keeping them within reach and organised.
- Decorative Touches: Add decorative elements like artificial greenery wall art to infuse personality into your barbeque space.
- Cool Refreshment Station: Equip your barbeque area with a cool refreshment station so that the grill master and their audience can enjoy beverages and beat the summer heat.
Your Perfect Summer Garden Is Easy To Achieve!
All you need to do is use the summer garden inspiration above, and you’ll be hosting the best summer parties in town in no time at all.
Creating the perfect garden isn’t about the most expensive barbeque or flashiest furniture. It’s about the thoughtful little details that allow your guests to let their hair down and really enjoy the special moments of summer. The perfect summer garden is about crafting a space that invites cherished moments and shared memories to last a lifetime.
If you’re looking for low-maintenance greenery that adds a vibrant summer feel to your garden to last through all seasons, then Designer Plants® artificial vertical gardens, hedges, hanging plants, and flowering plants should be on your list.
Struggling to find the right plants for your dream summer garden? Get in touch with our Designer Plants® experts for personalised advice to help you choose the best artificial greenery for your outdoor space!